Many people today have grown up in a school system, or watching TV programs, that claim humans are the result of millions of years of evolution. If the world was created by random chance, then the Bible is not the Word of God. As Christians we “know” we have eternal life (1 John 5:13), and we know God’s Word is true (John 17:17). If people do not realize that God owns the world and has the right to punish sin, then the preaching of the cross will seem foolish (1 Corinthians 1:18).
To effectively evangelize it is important to start from the beginning:
- God is the lawgiver because He created the world. (“In the beginning God created…” Genesis 1:1)
- God is very good; therefore, the world He created was very good. (“And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good…” Genesis 1:31)
- Man sinned and brought death into the world. (“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin…” Romans 5:12)
- We all deserve to die because we all have broken God’s laws. (“…and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.” Romans 5:12)
- God is holy and just. He will not let lawbreakers go unpunished. (“…and that [God] will by no means clear the guilty…” Exodus 34:7)
- God is rich in mercy and has provided a Savior to take your punishment. (“Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.” Romans 5:18)
While evangelizing someone with a secular worldview (belief in evolution), or anyone of a non-Christian background, it is important to mention that God created the world, and it was very good. Doing this will help the hearer to understand that there is only one true God we are accountable to, and that man is responsible for the evil, death, and suffering in this world.
Most people you evangelize will have a different god from the God of the Bible. Even though they believe something very different, God has given everyone a conscience (Romans 2:15) that can be used to reveal how we will stand guilty in front of a very good God. All people believe that lying is wrong, stealing is wrong, murder is wrong, but the Bible explains why lying, stealing, and murder are wrong. Use the Bible to show who God is, and use the conscience to show how the Bible is true.
1 Corinthians 15:21-22
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.